WHAT ARE EMAIL ROUND TABLES?
A typical round table (or round table) is when people get together to share ideas on a variety of topics that relate to them. I have run a few live round tables at conferences and training events because I love the format so much. So, a few years ago I decided to try an email round table with just one topic. It went over really well. Now, every month an email is sent out with a different round table topic. The email round tables have been a useful tool for many camp professionals. There are usually anywhere from 100-150 participants for each one. Many include multiple ideas.
In the beginning I quickly learned that some guidelines had to be set for these email round tables. Those guidelines are referenced below.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
In the announcement email there will be a link to the online submission form for that month’s round table. Make sure you respond by the date indicated. Submissions will not be accepted after that date.
WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES?
There are 4 specific rules for your submissions.
- Your submission MUST have detailed INSTRUCTIONS. The reason for doing these round tables is so that camp professionals can get new ideas from other camp pros to use at camp. Without clear instructions, the ideas are useless.
- You MUST email your submission by the date posted in the email.
- Those who do not participate WILL NOT get the compilation. No exceptions.
- Please,please, please use proper punctuation and capitalize words that need it.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE ANYTHING TO SUBMIT BUT WANT THE COMPILATION?
I get this request often. I have detailed why I have this “policy” on a post titled I’m Sorry…You Cannot Have the Round Table List.
There are two things you can do.
- You can do some research online to find ideas for a submission. Please do not copy and paste it, though. If you find something submission worthy, rewrite it in your own words first.
- Or, you can wait until a possible edited version is for sale (though that won’t be for months later). There are some people who will not participate in the roundtables but want to see everyone else’s ideas. So this option allows them to still get it, but instead of paying with a submission of their own, they pay with money. A portion of each sale goes to charity. If you’d like to purchase the edited compilations from past round tables, please visit my store.
SHOULD I CREDIT THE PERSON THAT I GOT THE IDEAS FROM?
If you took the idea from a website, yes, by all means include the name of the site. If you heard about it at a conference and can remember who led the workshop, it would be nice to credit that person. If you have no idea who should be credited, don’t worry about it.
WHAT IF I HAVE PICTURES OR A VIDEO TO ADD?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Everyone LOVES pictures! If you have them ATTACH them to your submission form.
For videos send me the links.
WHEN WILL I GET THE COMPLETE COMPILATION IF I PARTICIPATED?
It usually takes 1-2 weeks after the final day of the round table to compile it all into a compilation.
WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED CLARIFICATION ABOUT AN IDEA THAT I SAW IN THE COMPILATION?
Unless the person specifically requested otherwise, the participants first name and email is listed with their submission.
WHAT IF I DON’T WANT MY NAME AND EMAIL LISTED?
Having your name and email seen really helps give this whole thing more of a community feel. If you are not proud of your idea then you probably shouldn’t submit it. However, I understand there are circumstances where you might not want to share this information. If that is the case, make the first line of your submission DO NOT ADD MY NAME OR EMAIL in all caps and I’ll be sure to leave out the info.
CAN I SHARE THE COMPILATION WITH OTHERS?
Within your organization? Of course. I just ask that you don’t post it on the internet. If people can get the round table compilations without having to participate then soon we won’t have anyone participating, just a bunch of people waiting to get the compilation.
If a camp pro from another organization wants it, go ahead and share it. Then encourage them to sign up for my email list so they can participate in future round tables. The more participants, the better the round table.
WHAT IF I HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS?
Simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am here to help.